Travel, adventure and being awesome, are so much easier and more natural to do when your health is in top form. If you don’t take care of number one and make solid investments in your health and well being, you won’t be able to enjoy your adventuring to the fullest. Whether you are abroad, or at home setting time aside for self care is a priceless way to keep your health at it’s best right now, and as a prevention measure for the future.
Just because you are away from home on an adventure or a trip, doesn’t mean you also should leave your daily health and self care rituals behind there too. I always do my utmost to keep on my self care regime no matter where I am, so that way I don’t have to work harder when I return home to simply repair and get myself back to where I was before I left.
One of my favorite ways to keep my immune system flowing, and my skin glowing – is by dry brushing my body.
The benefits of dry brushing are:
- It exfoliates the skin and promotes shedding of dead skin cells while encouraging cell renewal. I can tell you from personal experience that it gives your skin a newfound glowing radiance that only gets better with time.
- It helps your skin absorb nutrients as it unclogs and opens your pores. After I do my skin brushing and have a shower, I always lather on a rich healing cream. For me its either my home made mixture of raw virgin coconut oil combined with essential oils. Or, its my Sense firming body nourisher from Usana. Which is preservative free and infused with vitamins to also promote cell renewal, and made by the highest rated supplement company in the world. Our skin is our biggest organ, so I like to feed it the best.
- It helps break up and reduce cellulite. Yes please! Although I do believe that diet is number 1 in ridding yourself of cellulite. However dry brushing can give a massive boost in helping your body break up the cellulite and release it. Beach bum ready for those hot sandy destinations.
- It helps support your lymphatic system. Our lymph system is a very big part of our immune system, and it is what transports waste to be removed out of our system. We have lymph nodes all throughout our bodies located just under the skin, and it is said that dry skin brushing helps to stimulate the lymph system and promote a healthy fluid flow. I don’t know about you, but I like to have a healthy and strong immune system all the time and especially when traveling.
- It gives you a natural energy boost. This comes from getting your circulation moving, stimulating the nerve endings in your skin and overall giving your body some TLC and love. I sure feel the boost when I do it first thing in the morning, and it never fails to set my day up to be awesome as heck.
Dry brushing is so simple, cost effective and also very easy to do anywhere. All you need is a natural bristled brush.
You can get one with either a long handle or no handle depending on what your packing needs are. Here is a great one that I love.
I make it a point to dry brush at least once a day, and at times twice a day, right before I get in the shower. I start at my feet and make long smooth upward stroked always towards the heart. By going towards the heart you push all the fluids upwards where they drain.
On your stomach you can do some clockwise circles and then upward strokes towards your heart. You can also do the circular motions in your armpits and then towards your heart. When you are at your collar bone you can start at the back of your shoulder and stroke around to the front, and then down your chest towards your heart. Easy peasy, and so rewarding. I also give my dry brush a good washing with some natural soap once a week to get rid of all the dead skin and dirt.
It’s the small steps in life that add up to create big results. This little technique will not only boost your health, but it is sure to keep you looking young, supple, and with a dewy glow. Health is wealth my friends, and for those of us that live for the adventure, our health is the biggest asset we have.